The history of Winkworth Arboretum
The story of Winkworth Arboretum began when dermatologist Wilfrid Fox purchased 130 acres of woodland next to his farmhouse in the Thorncombe Valley.
Describd as a man of "humanity, simplicity, understanding and humour", Wilfrid Fox was a well-respected doctor with a great passion for horticulture. He was the driving force behind the Roads Beautifying Association, and even a member of a horticultural advisory committee to the King.
When the Thorncombe estate next to his country home was put up for sale in 1937, Dr Fox jumped at the chance to obtain the land so he could experiment with nature's autumnal colours on a large scale.
Sketching autumn colours
In 1937 most of the area was covered in scrub woodland, with several plantations of larch and Douglas fir. Dr Fox began his work to enhance the valley's autumn colours by planting maples, oaks and liquidambars on the upper edge of the slope.
The work was interrupted by World War II. Aged 64, Dr Fox took two ambulances into France, from where he returned at the Dunkirk rescue in 1940.
The beginning of the bowl
On his return, the Ministry of Supply ordered the larches at the southerly end of Rowe’s Flashe Lake to be felled for the war effort. This resulted in a bowl-shaped area of cleared slope. Dr Fox saw the huge potential of this area, and focused his planting on this "bowl".
Dr Fox had only one employee. Much of the physical labour required to create the arboretum was carried out by his family members - including nieces, nephews and grandchildren of all ages - as well as unwitting friends and colleagues who came to visit. His granddaughter recorded that it was very hard work but great fun.
Growth and development
Dr Fox planted cherries, Japanese and other maples and azaleas for their autumn foliage, as well as a host of other trees and shrubs.
He was a particular expert on the trees of the Sorbus genus, including rowan, whitebeam and service, and in 1943 planted more than 50 Sorbus species on the slope now known as Sorbus Hill.
The azalea glade
Having been evacuated to Dorking during the war, the London staff of Dr Fox's family firm helped to create the azalea glade (near the boathouse on Rowe's Flashe Lake) in 1941. Dr Fox briefly gave the area the tongue-in-cheek name of The Hitler Glade, in recognition of the origin of his weekend workforce.
After the war ended, Dr Fox began to expand further beyond autumn colour, planting springtime species including magnolias and flowering crab-apples.
In 1984-5, the large Douglas Fir plantation in what is now Badger’s Bowl was felled, and the area was planted around its periphery, leaving the present grassy meadow at the centre.
Securing the future
By 1948, Dr Fox was considering how to conserve the arboretum for the future. He offered it to the Joint Gardens scheme of the Royal Horticultural Society and the National Trust, but there was an initial reluctance to accept it because it was in its early stages and did not come with any endowment. Ultimately the three local councils were persuaded to commit to a joint annual payment of £800, and with this as the sole source of income it was accepted.
Dr Fox donated some 65 acres in 1952, and added another 35 acres in 1957. A management committee ran the arboretum, with Dr Fox as its chairman, and National Trust and RHS members on the committee.
Dr Fox died in 1962 aged 87, and is buried in Eashing Cemetery.
"Let’s go up the Arbor"
Dr Fox had always allowed locals to enjoy his woodlands, and the lakes were a popular spot for swimming and diving. Len Clark, a former Winkworth regular, remembers: "The Arboretum was soon a favourite with our young sons...‘Let’s go up the Arbor’ became almost a family motto."
" Surely there are few National Trust properties which give more delight to the very young and the very old – with all those in between."
Continuing a legacy
The National Trust took over full control of the arboretum on 1 January 1988. Since then we've continued to look after the land in a way that's true to Dr Fox's vision.