Lord Fairhaven's House
Lord Fairhaven bought Anglesey Abbey unseen at auction in 1926. Over the next few years he remodelled and extended the House turning it into his luxurious country house, home to his vast & varied collections of works of art, clocks, silverware and books.
A brief history of Anglesey Abbey
Anglesey Abbey is believed to have been founded by Henry 1 in 1135 as the hospital of St.Mary.
In the early 13th Century it was converted into a priory of Augustinian canons (it was never strictly speaking an Abbey).
The monastic way of life came to an abrupt end in 1536, when Henry V111 began to dissolve the monasteries. Anglesey Abbey was granted to a lawyer, John Hynde, who removed some of the roofs, to reuse in a new mansion he was building at Madingley Hall, leaving the Abbey to decay.
In 1596 Anglesey was acquired by the Fowkes family, who were responsible for converting the remains of the monastic living quarters into a house in 1609.
The Reverend John Hailstone, vicar of the neighbouring parish of Bottisham, bought Anglesey Abbey in 1848. He made several important changes to the building, demolishing surviving masonary from the monastic buildings to create a stable block, and removing the Jacobean dormer windows from the front of the House. Hailstone was probably responsible for naming the house 'Anglesey Abbey'.
Re-building Anglesey Abbey
Lord Fairhaven purchased Anglesey Abbey with his brother, Henry, in 1926. The brothers agreed that the first one to get married would sell his share to the other, so Henry sold his share when he wed in 1932.
Re-building work included replacing the dormer windows removed by Hailstone, moving the Victorian porch, to create the Dining Room, complete with a new medieval -looking fireplace.
Later work included modernisation of the service wing, to create a Library to house Lord Fairhaven's growing collection of books.
The final changes were made by Professor Sir Albert Richardson, who designed a two storey gallery over the drive to House Lord Fairhaven's growing collection of views of Windsor Castle, and his finest Old Masters.