Winter conservation of Bateman's
Our 17th century house, beloved by Kipling and his family, welcomes many thousands of visitors each year, particularly during the busy summer months. In the quieter winter months, we use the time to carry out essential conservation work whilst still allowing visitors to experience this famous family home on a guided tour.
A good and a peaceable place
This is how Rudyard Kipling described his beloved family home of Bateman's,a 17th century house set in the stunning landscape of the Sussex Weald.
During the summer, with larger numbers of visitors, it is less of a peaceable place and the constant traffic through the house brings in dust and dirt that settles on the collection. For our team of conservators winter is a welcome time when, with less visitors, they can work to keep things in good order ready for the next summer.
Conservation work in the house
During the winter time we carry out essential conservation work in the house. This is vital to ensure the upkeep of all the precious and irreplacable items that make this place special.
This year to help us complete this work whilst keeping the house open to visitors, we will be offering guided tours of the house on weekdays from Monday 29 October 2018 to Friday 30 November 2018 and then again from Monday 2 January 2019 until Friday 8 February 2019 and between Monday 18 February 2019 until Thursday 28 February 2019.
Tours will be guided by our volunteers and offer an intimate tour of the Kiplings' family home whilst our conservation team get to grips with the cleaning. During this period some rooms may be closed completely for conservation work whilst others will have no access but visitors will be able to see our team at work and have the chance to ask questions about the jobs in hand.
- Tours will run from 29 October 2018 to 30 November 2018, from 7 January 2019 to 8 February 2019 and from 18 February 2019 to 28 February 2019.
- Tours are available hourly from 10.30am to 3.30pm, with possible additional tours at 12 noon, 1pm and 2pm.
- Each tour lasts approximately 45mins.
- 12 people per tour.
- No need to pre-book. Visitors will be offered the next available tour on arrival at our visitor reception. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment as tours can sometimes fill up quickly.
- Free event
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- We regret that we cannot accommodate pushchairs or buggies on the tours
- Manual wheelchair access is only possible to the ground floor of the house. Please check in advance of your visit to ensure that there are no room closure restrictions which will make a wheelchair visit inpracticable.