The Parterre at Cliveden
Each spring and summer we create a colourful spectacle with thousands of plants and bulbs, planted in the style developed by Cliveden’s Victorian Head Gardener John Fleming.
The six acre Parterre is one of the garden’s most dramatic features. Comprising of 16 triangular beds with box hedging and manicured yew topiary, as well as a sweeping semi-circle bed on the North end.
Each season the bedding scheme is painstakingly refreshed by our loyal team of gardeners and volunteers. In summer plants include; begonia's, marigold's and salvia.
An inspiring view
The recently restored South Terrace above the Parterre offers the perfect vantage point to look out across the garden. Though we suggest a wander amongst the beds to see up-close the detailed planting that creates the gorgeous display.
It is such an impressive and enjoyable spot that the Astors would pitch a tent with open sides on the terrace during the summer, so that regular guests could enjoy the view, sketch, or – in the case of George Bernard Shaw – type.
When the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland purchased Cliveden in 1849 they worked with Head Gardener John Fleming to transform what was then a simple, large lawn into the innovative design you see today. Fleming was a pioneer of ribbon and carpet bedding and under his guidance Cliveden’s garden displays became horticulturally famous and set a precedent for gardens the world over.