RAF Defford Museum at Croome
Some of the Second World War buildings, once the Sick Quarters for the RAF Defford airbase, still remain and have been restored as Croome’s visitor centre and museum.
The museum reveals the once secret story of RAF Defford with wartime artefacts, emotive personal possessions, videos and costume displays.
Much of the land required for RAF Defford was requisitioned from the Earl of Coventry in 1940, with the station’s technical area being built on the eastern part of Croome park. The laying of the runways necessitated the closure of a public road, and extended across Defford Common.
Various communal and domestic sites, including the Station Sick Quarters, were clustered around Croome Court, the ancestral home of the Earls of Coventry, to house over 2,000 service personnel and scientists who tested radar at this secret airbase to meet new enemy threats.
RAF Defford became the main station in Britain for the development of airborne radar during and after the Second World War. The airfield housed the Telecommunications Flying Unit (TFU), carrying out flight trials for the Telecommunications Research Establishment (TRE), which had moved from Worth Matravers to Malvern in May 1942.
The experiments and developments carried out at Defford were of great historic significance, for they played a vital part in helping the Allies to win the war, and paved the way for many electronic applications that we now take for granted.
Armstrong Whitworth Meteor
Carefully restored, an exciting new exhibit further brings to life the story of the secret radar work undertaken at this historically significant site. This aircraft, a Meteor NF11 night fighter, serial number WD686, was the last to leave Defford Airfield, flying out in March 1958 and will be on show until June 2020.
Defford Airfield Heritage Group (DAHG) website
Preserving the history of Defford Airfield, the DAHG is an official National Trust supporter group who work closely with the team at Croome on many projects.
A book, ‘Defford Airfield 1941-57’ produced by DAHG, is available to buy in the museum and the shop, priced £5.