The park at Dunham Massey was first mentioned in 1362, but wild deer and boar are recorded to have been hunted among the trees for many years before this.
A brief history of Dunham Massey
A house filled with treasures, an ancient deer park and a renowned family garden- 300 years of history have unfolded at Dunham Massey. Home to two great families, the Booths and the Greys; their stories of fortune, scandal and duty can still be felt across the estate today.
First record of the park
2nd Earl of Warrington inherits Dunham estate
George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington, inherits the Dunham estate with debts of £50,000. To turn the estate's fortunes around, George begins to plant hundreds of trees throughout the park providing a profitable timber resource for the future.
The Stamford title comes to Dunham
Mary Booth, the daughter of the 2nd Earl and his wife, marries Harry Grey bringing the Stamford title to Dunham.