Red squirrel week 2017 at Plas Newydd
From 30 October to 3 November join us for a special celebration and learn all about our furry red residents.
2008 was the year six red squirrels were released into the gardens at Plas Newydd in an attempt to boost the numbers of these shy creatures on Anglesey. Well, it worked - we now have over 100 of these furry critters that call Plas Newydd home!
A red celebration
Last year (2016) Anglesey was declared a grey squirrel free zone. To celebrate the red's success at Plas Newydd and to build upon the success of last year's event, we've teamed up again with the Angelsey Red Squirrel Trust to hold a week of talks, walks, arts and crafts all to do with our little red friends.
During Red Squirrel Week you can:
- Learn about reds' habitats and the threats they face on special walks and talks with the Red Squirrel trust.
- Have a go at various squirrel crafts (£1.50)
- Follow the squirrel trail and see if you can spot a red
- Discover what separates the reds from the greys
- Have your face painted as a squirrel for the day! (£2.50)
- Join the Wild Elements team in playing conkers, apple challenges and creating wild art (Wednesday 1 Nov only)
Red Squirrel Appeal 2017
This year's Red Squirrel Week will also see the official launch of Plas Newydd's new Red Squirrel Appeal.
Although the reds are loving life at Plas Newydd there's still plenty we can do to help their numbers. Plas Newydd are launching a new appeal to raise £10,000 to help the team care for the squirrels nest boxes, feeding stations and habitat as well as fund two ambitious projects to create a new squirrel viewing hide and 'Squirrel Rope Bridge.'
In addition to the money raised the appeal is also on the lookout for Red Squirrel Ranger Volunteers to help them feed and care for the squirrels.
Red Squirrel Week runs from the 30 October to 3 November between 11am and 3pm.
For further details please contact the Plas Newydd team on 01248 714 795 or email@example.com