Dogs at Powis
This winter, dogs and their well-behaved owners are welcome to explore the garden on certain days of the week, thanks to positive feedback from visitors, staff and volunteers.
After a successful trial period, we will be welcoming dogs on short leads to the property at selected times during the winter months.
Explore acres of beautifully kept garden with your four-legged friends on Thursdays and Fridays October – December, or daily January – March.
Wander through our formal woodland, stroll through the Edwardian formal garden or simply find a quiet spot on the Italianate terraces to take a moment to admire breath taking views across the Severn valley.
We recognise that not everyone loves dogs, so we’ve put together a few guidelines to help ensure that visits to Powis Castle and Garden are fun for everyone:
- Access: dogs are welcome in the main courtyard, the garden, the East Front, the car park and the path leading from the car-park to the ticket office. Buildings are restricted to assistance dogs only. Please note: the wider estate is not owned by the National Trust and we ask you respect the land owner’s wishes by not taking your dog on this land.
- Leads: please keep your dog on a short, non-extendable lead. To ensure our lawns remain perfect for picnics and roly-polys, we ask you keep to the paths where possible. Spare leads are available from the ticket office if necessary.
- Leaving your dog: for the comfort of your dog and other visitors, please don’t tie up your dog and leave them alone. If you need some help, just ask.
- Dog waste: please pick up after your dog and use the bins provided. You’ll find bins located by the main toilets and in the formal garden, the main courtyard and the car park. If you run out of bags please let the ticket office team know so they can supply spares.
- Putting your paws up: after a stroll in the garden, support our ongoing conservation work at Powis by treating yourself to a hot drink and slice of cake. Although dogs are not allowed in our Courtyard Restaurant, you are welcome to enjoy your delicious refreshments at the tables and chairs in the Courtyard, or find some shelter in the Old Stables.
Where can I take my dog if I am visiting outside of these times?
Dogs are very welcome all year round in the car park, on the East Front and in the main courtyard but unfortunately they cannot access the garden.
Although they are not allowed in our Courtyard Restaurant, you will find lots of tables outside where you can enjoy refreshments with your four-legged friends whilst admiring a beautiful view of the castle.