Easter holidays at Stowe
Spring has sprung and it's time to get outdoors with your family over Easter. Enjoy walks in the garden to see the vibrant colours returning to the trees, see new born lambs bouncing and get stuck into a wide range of fun activities available throughout the school holidays whatever the weather.
Stowe's nature hotel: family trail
With Easter falling late this year, we've got a brand new activity to keep your children entertained whilst enjoying the great outdoors over the school holidays. Available daily, 6-18 April, 10am-4pm - this family friendly trail will have you hunting for creatures big and small that call the gardens their home. The trail costs £2 per child and includes a prize - normal admission applies.
Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt
We’re getting all our newborn friends together for a birthday bash to celebrate 30 years of the National Trust at Stowe from 19-22 April, 10am-4pm. Can you work out which animal brought each gift in time to claim your yummy chocolate prize? Trails cost £3 per child, normal admission applies.
As the gardens emerge from their winter slumber, take the chance to drink in the sounds, sights and smells of spring at Stowe. Pick up a free family explorers guide for spring seekers and head out for bouncing baby lambs, delicate blossom scents and birds chattering amongst the leaf buds. Have a go at some spring 50 things challenges - just don't forget your wellies!
Seek out nature's gifts as spring blooms back to life with this sensory guide to help you discover which birds to spot, flowers to find and creepy crawlies to uncover from their winter hiding.
50 things - spring favourites
There are 37 of the 50 things to do at Stowe to kick start your adventure. You can pick up the pace, running in acres of space or take your chances swinging from the branches of our trees.
- No.1 Go bird watching – spot Swans, Robins, Lapwings, Mallard ducks, Greylag geese, Blue tits sweeping across the lakes
- No.2 Find some frogspawn – with ponds dotted down Bell Gate Drive and in the Lamport Garden, you'll find some speckled friends in the water
- No.3 Go on a really long bike ride – dust down the saddles and take a ride into the parkland bursting with newborns throughout the season
- No.4 Hunt for bugs – a whole universe is waiting for discovery hidden amongst the garden growth, lift a log or stone and find lots of creepy crawlies
- No.5 Explore inside a tree - with several mystical trees that are hollowed out in the gardens, venture inside to get up close with nature
Here are our top tips for embracing the rain and having fun at Stowe for fearless families.
- You can complete these 50 things: No.6 running around in the rain, No.5 Skim a stone, No.13 make a mud pie, No.22 explore inside a tree. Pick up a free 50 things to do before you’re 11 ¾ scrapbook from New Inn and start your adventure today. It’s full of hints and tips for success.
- To dodge rain showers, use the temples as shelters
- Temples with shelter, some benches or to use for picnic spots are: The Lake Pavilions, Concord and Victory, Ancient Virtue, The Grotto, The Cascade (there are small nooks to sit in), Queens Temple, The Fane of Pastoral Poetry
A year to make memories
Become a member when you visit Stowe and your money will help care for the gardens whilst you get to enjoy a whole year of family fun.
Over the past 10 years the egg hunt has been sponsored by Cadbury’s with proceeds helping to restore Stowe. Without your support we wouldn't be able to protect these iconic gardens.
A special treat...or two
If you're looking for a gift to put a smile on the kids' faces or that something extra special this Easter, then pop along to the shop on your visit to the New Inn. This spring you'll find an array of tasty treats and toys to choose from.