Easter holidays at Stowe
Spring has sprung and it's time to get outdoors with your family over Easter between 30 March and 15 April. Enjoy walks in the garden to see the vibrant colours returning to the trees, see new born lambs bouncing and get stuck into a wide range of fun activities available throughout the school holidays whatever the weather.
Every month there’s a different theme for your family to enjoy whilst having a go at some of the 50 Things to do before you’re 11 ¾. Borrow a free family explorer guide when you arrive or download it here to print and bring with you. In April it’s beautiful birds. This time of year is perfect to see lots of our species return and nest in the gardens. Available daily throughout the month, normal admission applies.
Can we tempt you outdoors? Our nature expert will be leading two events to help you achieve some of 50 Things challenge. We're Going On A Bug Hunt on 4 April and making mud pies in Mud Glorious Mud on 11 April, both 10.30am-12midday. These events are very popular, so book now to avoid disappointment. £2 per child with normal admission applying.
What's on at Stowe
Step into a world of adventure trails and outdoors fun throughout the school holidays and weekends.
Stowe's beautiful birds
Learn all about the birds at Stowe to help you spot them. Take a peek or print it to bring a long with you when you visit.
Toddler Tuesday - Feathery friends
On 3 April, drop by the cafe for toddler fun. Themed for all things birds that tweet, they'll be crafts, colouring, stories to name a few, not forgetting the essential cuppa. We understand toddlers don't appreciate the concept of getting out of the front door in time to a clock, so arrive anytime when you can for these relaxed sessions which run every month and are free of charge.
50 Things at Stowe - Spring favourites
There are 37 of the 50 Things to do at Stowe to kick start your adventure. You can pick up the pace, running in acres of space or take your chances swinging from the branches of our trees.
- No.1 Go bird watching – spot Swans, Robins, Lapwings, Mallard ducks, Greylag geese, Blue tits sweeping across the lakes
- No.2 Find some frogspawn – with ponds dotted down Bell Gate Drive and in the Lamport Garden, you'll find some speckled friends in the water
- No.3 Go on a really long bike ride – dust down the saddles and take a ride into the parkland bursting with new borns throughout the season
- No.4 Hunt for bugs – a whole universe is waiting for discovery hidden amongst the garden growth, lift a log or stone and find lots of creepy crawlies
- No.5 Explore inside a tree - with several mystical trees that are hollowed out in the gardens, venture inside to get up close with nature
Here are our top tips for embracing the rain and having fun at Stowe for fearless families.
- You can complete these 50 Things: No.6 running around in the rain, No.5 Skim a stone, No.13 make a mud pie, No.22 explore inside a tree. Pick up a free 50 things to do before you’re 11 ¾ scrapbook from New Inn and start your adventure today. It’s full of hints and tips for success.
- To dodge rain showers, use the temples as shelters
- Temples with shelter, some benches or to use for picnic spots are: The Lake Pavilions, Concord and Victory, Ancient Virtue, The Grotto, The Cascade (there are small nooks to sit in), Queens Temple, The Fane of Pastoral Poetry
A year to make memories
Become a member when you visit Stowe and your money will help care for the gardens whilst you get to enjoy a whole year of family fun.
Over the past nine years the egg hunt has been sponsored by Cadbury’s with proceeds helping to restore Stowe. Without your support we wouldn't be able to protect the iconic gardens and monuments.