Anglesey Abbey Coffee & Walnut cake
Perfect for an afternoon tea break, our coffee and walnut cake is bursting full of texture and flavour.
Cakes and bakes
For the sponge
- 320g Caster sugar
- 320g Self-raising flour
- 320g Baking margarine
- 6 Eggs
- 10g Coffee granules (mixed with a little water)
- 80g Walnut pieces
For the frosting:
- 200g Baking margarine
- 550g Icing sugar
- 5g Coffee granules (mixed with a little water)
- 20g Walnuts
- Cream the sugar and the margarine together using your food mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add half the eggs and beat well, add the remaining eggs and beat until smooth.
- Tip in the flour and gently fold through the egg mixture.
- Add the walnuts and the espresso and then fold through again until evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, level the top and bake at 165°C for 25 – 30 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer inserted intothe middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool.
- Place the baking margarine, icing sugar and espresso into a large bowl, slowly start to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated, continue to whip until you have a light and airy buttercream.
- Divide the frosting into five and use a third of each portion to sandwich the cakes together.
- Coat the sides of the cake with some of the remaining frosting and then holding it by the top and bottom between your hands, roll in the chopped nuts.
- Lay the cake on a board and spread frosting over the top, use a knife to mark
the surface before piping rosettes on each portion.
- Finish by decorating with the remaining walnuts.