Mrs. Dering's Victorian Mincemeat
Mrs. Dering's Cookbook dates from 1827. Here's her recipe for Baddesley's traditional mincemeat
Cakes and bakes
- 8oz minced raisins
- 8oz currants
- 8oz granulated sugar
- 8oz grated beef suet
- 8oz peeled and grated apple
- 4oz sultanas
- 2oz candied peel
- Half a small wine glass each of brandy and sherry
- 1 teaspoonful each of mace, nutmeg and cinnamon
- The juice and rind of one lemon
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl, cover and leave to stand overnight.
- The following morning mix thoroughly and place in jars.
- Leave for 1 - 2 months before using.