Christmas at Bateman's 2018
There'll be magic at Bateman's this festive season as we decorate the rooms in rich, opulent colours inspired by Kipling's travels and his Just So Stories. Enjoy wandering through the decorated house or venturing out in the garden to tackle a family trail.
'Just So' Christmas at Bateman's
This December Bateman's Christmas celebrations are based around Kipling's Just So Stories, which will cast their magic around his family home.
Come and wander around our 17th-century house, with a roaring fire and majestic tree to welcome you. Spy natural handmade decorations in opulent colours and track down some of the animals from these famous tales hidden among them.
- 'Just So' Christmas event in the house is open daily from Saturday 1 December 2018 to Sunday 6 January 2019, 11.00am to 4.00pm, excluding Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Last entry to the house at 3.30pm.
- Free event but normal admission charges apply.
- We regret that buggies and pushchairs are not permitted in the house.
More to see out in the garden
Even though it's wintertime, there's still plenty to see in the garden and our winter garden trail is perfect to get the kids out and about.
Pick up a trail at visitor reception and head off into the gardens to seek out the hiding places of some of the Just So characters. You'll need to look carefully as the animals are not used to such cold weather and will be tucked away in an attempt to keep warm.
During your search don't forget to stop and admire the amazing framework of branches created by the pleached limes in the formal garden or stop for a while and watch the River Dudwell rushing under the bridge in the wild garden.
- Trails available from Saturday 1 December to Sunday 6 January, except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Available from 10am to 3.30pm for start of trail. Prize collection available until 4pm.
- £2.50 per trail.
- Suitable for children aged 4 - 12 years.