Squash, balsamic onion and walnut bruschetta
This Squash, balsamic onion and walnut bruschetta offers a new creative way to serve you squash. It’s full of flavour and is the perfect snack or light lunch. It’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians too, so it’s one for everybody.
For the squash hummus:
440g/1lb cooked squash, drained and gently pressed to remove excess liquid
½ garlic bulb, roasted
½ lemon, juice
15g/½oz peanut butter
10ml/2tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp smoke paprika
For the onions:
15ml/1tbsp vegetable oil
300g/12oz red onions, thinly sliced
20g/1oz caster sugar
20ml/2tsp balsamic vinegar
4 thick slices of uncut bloomer loaf
40g/2oz walnut pieces, toasted
30ml/2tbsp Coldpressed rapeseed oil
Small handful of watercress
70g/3oz mixed lettuce leaf
- For the squash hummus: Place the cooked squash into the bowl of your food processor with the ‘S’ blade attached. Add the roasted garlic, lemon juice, peanut butter, oil, cinnamon, cumin and smoked paprika.
- Blitz the mixture until smooth, stopping halfway through blitzing to scrape the mixture from the side of the bowl to ensure an even texture. Season to taste a put to one side.
- For the onions: Place the vegetable oil in a large pan, add the thinly sliced onions and stir well. Cover the pan and sauté for around 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the sugar and half the balsamic vinegar. Stir well and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the sugar has slightly caramelised.
- Stir in the remaining balsamic vinegar and remove the pan from the heat. Decant the onions into a bowl and leave to cool.
- To serve: Place the slices of bloomer bread on a baking tray and put in the centre of a preheated oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for around 7-10 minutes, until just drying and lightly golden.
- Remove the bread from the oven and roughly spread the squash hummus over the surface.
- Top with a portion of the sautéed onions and sprinkle on some of the toasted walnuts. Place on a serving plate, drizzle over some of the rapeseed oil and scatter over the watercress.
- Serve immediately with a mixed lettuce leaf garnish.