Superb roasted squash, bean and tomato salad
This delicious salad is sure to have you coming back for more this January. Start the New Year with a scrummy seasonal treat that is sure to get you up and ready for 2017.
- 350g/12oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into small dice
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 40g/1½ oz hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 40g/1½ oz pumpkin seeds
- 85g/3oz leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 400g/14oz can five-bean mix, drained
- 55g/2oz drained sundried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 40g/1½oz sultanas
- 100g/3½oz mixed baby salad leaves
- 1 punnet mustard and cress, leaves snipped from base
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Sprinkle the butternut squash over the base of a small roasting tin and drizzle with the oil. Roast for 15 minutes or until softened and just begining to colour. Add the chopped nuts and pumpkin seeds, stir together and roast for 5 minutes.
2. Add the leeks, spring onions and chopped parsley to a salad bowl. Sprinkle over the drained beans, sundried tomatoes and sultanas then add the warm squash, nuts and seeds.
3. To make the dressing, add all the ingredients to a jam jar, screw on the lid and shake until well mixed. Pour over the salad and toss gently together.
4. Add the salad leaves and mustard and cress at the very last minute and gently toss with the other salad ingredients.
5. Spoon on to plates and serve with warm bread and butter to give you that homely touch.