Try the recipe for this tasty Medieval dish.
- 1 pastry case 24cm (9 inch), baked blind with short-crust pastry
- (homemade pastry made using 150g/6oz of flour)
- A handful of chopped walnuts
- 1 medium chopped onion
- A small handful of raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- Roughly the same amount of chopped parsley
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 300ml double cream
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- Cover base of pastry with chopped walnuts and then cover with the chopped onion.
- Place raisins on top followed by the sage and parsley, finally covering the surface with the grated cheddar.
- Mix all the custard ingredients together in a jug and carefully pour over the tart.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (for fan oven 160°C, Gas mark 4) for 30 minutes until set and golden brown.
Serve warm, or cold.