Carding Mill Valley apple cake
This apple cake recipe uses the apples collected from the orchards on the Dudmaston and Morville estates. All the apples have been collected by a team of volunteers who then make our cakes.
- 350g (12oz) soft margarine
- 350g (12oz) Demerara sugar
- 3 medium / large eggs
- 175g (6oz) walnut pieces, chopped
- 175g (6oz) sultanas
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 600g (21oz) cooking apples after peeled, cored and grated
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 170C/gas mark 4
- Lightly grease and line a 10 inch round, deep cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar in a large bowl then add the eggs, chopped walnuts (keep back some walnuts for decoration), sultanas, flour & baking powder and mix well.
- Spoon half the mixture into the cake tin then spread the grated apple and ground cinnamon in an even layer on top.
- Spread the remaining cake mixture on top, level the surface then sprinkle generously with Demerara sugar and walnuts.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 70-80 minutes or until the cake is well risen, coming away from the sides of the tin and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin, before turning out and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack.