Castle Ward Dexter Beef Sausage Roll
This is the recipe from our famed Dexter Beef sausage rolls served in our cafe.
- 400g sausage meat (we use Dexter Beef from the cattle on our estate, but use what you can use any sausage meat)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 25g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 50g white onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Place all of the ingredients except the egg and pastry into a large bowl and mix until well combined,
- Lay out your pastry sheet and cut in half lengthways, givng two long strips.
- Place the filling carefully along one half of the pastry, trying to keep it roughly even on both sheets, leaving a small gap at the edge.
- Wet the edge of the pastry with a little water and fold over the other half, pressing down to seal.
- Cut each piece into 3 and place on a baking tray. Brush the tops with the beaten egg to make sure they look glowing and crisp out of the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Best enjoyed slightly warm with your sauce of choice!
Notes: If your pastry or meat has not previously been frozen, you can freeze the rolls before the egg washing stage, ideally in a tray until solid and then into an airtight container. From frozen, add the egg-wash and allow an extra 10 minutes cooking time.