Charlecote Park's venison casserole
Enjoy a hearty casserole from Charlecote's own diced venison.
- 1 pack Charlecote diced venison (approx 500g)
- 25g (1oz) plain flour seasoned with a little ground black pepper
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 300ml (10floz) beef stock
- 150ml (5floz) red wine
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch thyme sprigs (leaves stripped, or stems tied into a bunch as you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Toss the venison in the seasoned flour.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a frying pan and brown the meat on all sides (retaining the loose flour). Transfer venison to an ovenproof casserole.
- Fry the onion and carrots in remaining 2tbsp oil until lightly coloured and transfer to the casserole.
- Stir the remaining flour into the frying pan for a minute, remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and wine. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring for a minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and redcurrant jelly and pour over the venison and vegetables.
- Tuck in the herbs, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours before serving with your favourite potatoes and veg.