Fruity cider cake
Bake this moist fruit cake with cider from our Pantry shop.
Cakes and bakes
- 120g/4oz butter
- 250g/8oz demerara sugar
- 150g/5oz sultanas or raisins
- 7 fl.oz dry cider (still or fizzy is fine)
- 1 egg
- 310g/11oz self-raising flour
- grated nutmeg and 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 60g/2oz demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp cider
- In a pan heat together the butter, sugar, dried fruit and cider. Bring to the boil, then allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Beat the egg, then whisk the egg into the cooled mixture with a fork.
- Stir in the sieved flour and spices.
- Pour into a lined 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake at fan 140 / Gas 3 for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a cake tester shows clean.
- Heat together the sugar and cider for the glaze until syrupy (about 5 minutes) and brush over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Allow to cool in the tin.