Chartwell plum pudding
A festive favourite from the Landemare café at Chartwell. Tastes great with brandy sauce, custard or vanilla ice-cream.
- 200g shredded suet
- 110g self-raising flour, sifted
- 220g white breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 450g soft dark brown sugar
- 220g sultanas
- 220g raisins
- 560g currants
- 50g mixed candied peel
- 50g almonds, chopped
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- Grated zest 1 large orange and 1 large lemon
- 60ml brandy
- 150ml ale
- 4 large eggs
- Combine the suet, flour, breadcrumbs, spices and sugar. Mix thoroughly gradually adding dried fruit, mixed peel and nuts followed by the apple, orange and lemon zests.
- Separately beat the brandy, ale and eggs.
- Combine both mixes, stirring thoroughly. The mixture should drop easily from a spoon - add a spot more ale if needed.
- Cover the bowl and leave overnight.
- To steam, pack the mixture into a lightly greased basin, cover with double sheet of backing parchment and foil and tie securely.
- Steam for 8 hours.
- Allow to cool, then replace baking parchment and foil.
- To serve steam for 2 1/4 hours.