Bramley apple and rhubarb crumble
A classic favourite with a gingery, oaty crumble. Delicious served with hot custard or a big scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
- 550g/ 11⁄4lb Bramley apples, quartered, cored, peeled and sliced
- 350g/ 12oz trimmed rhubarb, thickly sliced
- 55g/ 2oz caster sugar
- 175g/ 6oz plain flour
- 40g/ 1½ oz rolled oats
- 85g/ 3oz caster sugar
- 115g/ 4oz soft margarine
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp soft light muscovado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/ Gas mark 5. Add the apple, rhubarb and sugar to a bowl, stir together and spoon into the base of a 1.2 litre/2 pint ovenproof dish.
- Place the flour, oats, sugar, margarine and ginger into a bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. You can use an electric mixer for this, if desired.
- Spoon over the fruit and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar. bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the fruit is soft. Serve scooped into bowls with hot custard (or ice cream, depending on what you fancy).