Challenging conversations research project
Throughout the development of 'What is Home', the Croome team worked with Arts Connect and the Heritage Education Leaders Group West Midlands, to support a regional research project focused on how to have conversations about challenging subjects in heritage and museum spaces.
On the 23 May 2019 the research was formally launched at the Midlands Arts Centre which has been vital to the development of our work at Croome.
Arts Connect are an Initiative of The Faculty of Arts, University of Wolverhampton, funded by Arts Council England. Their key focus is: To improve the access and engagement of children and young people aged 0–25 in arts and culture. Working in partnership with learning and engagement professionals from across the arts and cultural sector including, museums, heritage and archives.
Arts Connect founded the Heritage Education Leaders Group West Midlands, to bring together leaders in the heritage sector to:
- Develop a strategic view of heritage education and engagement across the region, to inform the development work of Arts Connect.
- Provide peer group support and challenge in developing innovative approaches to learning and engagement.
- Share best practice, skills and experiences useful to each other and to the wider sector.
Current members are: Culture Coventry, Birmingham Museums Trust, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, National Trust, Black Country Living Museum, Ironbridge Gorge Museum, Museums Worcestershire, Staffordshire Archives and Heritage, Warwickshire Museums, Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust, National Memorial Arboretum, Compton Verney, Archives West Midlands and Museum Development Network for the West Midlands.
The aims of the Challenging Conversation Research is to:
- Support through guidance - how to approach engaging children and young people with ‘difficult subjects’
- Help heritage educators feel confident and empowered to share challenging histories with children and young people.
Click on the link to the Executive Research Summary to find out more: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UleLG22Xk7Acwth9W1Mkxa06vBK5w8HgJO5buspf-fo/edit