Courgette, Lemon and Thyme sponge
A healthier vegetable treat.
- 350g Baking margarine
- 300g Caster sugar
- 400g Gluten free self raising flour
- 7 Eggs
- 1 Lemon
- 5g Baking powder
- 5g Bicarbonate of soda
- 300g Courgette, grated
- 15g Fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1tsp Xanthan gum
- 50g Courgette, julienne
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 100g Baking margarine
- 150g Icing sugar
- 50g Honey
- Beat the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and 100g of the flour, beat again
- Add the remaining flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, courgette, lemon juice and zest, thyme and Xanthan gum.
- Fold through gently until combined.
- Divide between your tins and put into the oven at 160°C for 25 – 30 minutes until risen and cooked through, test with a skewer, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Place the sugar in a pan with the lemon juice and bring to the boil.
- 6 Add the julienned courgette and lemon zest boil for a couple of minutes until softening, remove from the heat.
- Place the courgette on a lined tray and leave to go cold.
- Make the frosting by whisking the ingredients together until smooth, place one of the cakes on a board and level the top.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake.
- Place the remaining cake on top of the frosting and scatter over the candied courgette, store until required.
Make sure to squeeze any excess liquid from the courgette.
Use fresh thyme from your kitchen gardens where available, you could also try using lemon thyme.