Cranberry and orange scones
These lovely zesty scones are perfect served warm with butter for a winter afternoon treat.
Cakes and bakes
- 1kg self-raising flour
- 250g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g cranberries
- 3 medium eggs
- 300ml milk
- 100ml orange juice
- Pre-heat your oven to 150°c and lightly grease your baking sheet.
- Place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the cranberries and sugar. This recipe is quite tart, so if you have a sweet tooth add a bit more sugar.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture with the orange juice.
- Pour in half the milk and stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add the remaining milk a little at a time until the mixture comes together and forms a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to approximately 4cm deep.
- Cut out circles using a 7cm/2¾ inch fluted biscuit cutter and transfer the scones to the baking sheet.
- Push the remaining dough trimmings together and re-roll until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Remember oven times can vary.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!