A visit to Felbrigg isn't complete without a trip to the tearoom and a tasty scone. Why not try this savoury alternative in your kitchen at home, best served straight out of the oven with some warm soup.
Cakes and bakes
- 450g/1lb self-raising flour
- 115g/4oz soft margarine
- 140g/5oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 150ml/1/4 pint milk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F/gas mark 6.
- Add the flour and margarine to a bowl and rub in with your fingertips or an electric mixer until it resembles fine crumbs. Reserve 25g/1oz of the cheese then stir the rest into the flour with a little salt and pepper.
- Fork the egg, 125ml/4fl oz milk and the mustard together in a jug then gradually stir into the flour to make a smooth, soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured work surface then cut in half. Shape each half into a ball, flatten slightly then roll into a circle 15cm/6inch in diameter. Cut the circles into four quarters then arrange on a greased baking sheet, leaving space between the quarters so that there is room for them to rise.
- Brush the tops with the remaining milk and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden brown.