Chickpea and Mushroom Rolls
This vegan bake has proved a hit, and now you can try it for yourself at home.
- 50ml Oil
- 300g Red onion, chopped
- 200g Celery, chopped
- 5 Cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 400g Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 50g Parsley
- 10g Smoked paprika
- 5g Mixed dried herbs
- 800g Tin of chick peas, drained
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 300g Carrots, grated and squeezed
- 1 Block of puff pastry
- 30ml Cold- pressed rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper to season.
Place oil into a large pan over a medium heat, add the onion, celery and garlic, stir well and sauté for around 15 minutes
Add the mushrooms and continue sautéing for a further 10 minutes.
Add the parsley, mixed dried herbs, smoked paprika to the pan, continue to sauté for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to dry.
Add the chick peas and stir well sautéing for a further 10 minutes.
Decant to chick pea mix into a food processor with a ‘S’ blade attachment or similar, blitz until smooth.
Place in a bowl, add the breadcrumbs, carrot, salt and pepper, mix well, leave to chill then adjust the seasoning
Divide the mixture into two even pieces (approximately 700g each), lay out the puff pastry sheet and cut into two along the length, lay on one portion of the mix, brush the edge with water and roll up to form a sausage roll shape.
Repeat with the remaining mix, then cut each roll into 6 x 10cm rolls, place on a tray slash the top and brush with the cold pressed rapeseed oil.
Place in the oven at 180c baking for around 25 – 30 minutes or until puffed and coloured, remove from oven and leave to cool before serving.
- The mixture will benefit from being left overnight in the fridge giving the breadcrumbs time to absorb the moisture.
- If available substitute the dried mixed herbs with fresh from your kitchen garden.
- These can be frozen raw and cooked from frozen when needed.