Chocolate hazelnut torte fudge cake
A flourless but indulgent chocolate and hazelnut cake straight from our autumn menu.
- 180g Dark chocolate
- 200g Margarine
- 10ml Vanilla flavouring
- 100g Crushed and toasted hazelnuts
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 5g Baking Powder
- 5 Eggs
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1tsp Salt
For the topping:
- 100ml Double cream
- 100g Dark chocolate
- 20g White chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Melt the chocolate and margarine together and add the vanilla flavouring. Leave to cool while you whisk the eggs.
- Place the hazelnuts, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl and mix together well.
- Place the eggs and sugar in another bowl, whisk together on a low setting. Add the salt and continue mixing.
- Increase the speed of the whisk to maximum, and continue to whisk until 'ribbon stage', when the mixture holds its shape.
- Slowly pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, stirring with a metal spoon until combined fully.
- Sprinking the hazelnut mixture over the top of the mix, and gently fold through until combined.
- Pour into a round baking tin and tap once on your worktop to remove any large air bubbles.
- Bake for around 45 minutes or until risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool.
- For the icing, place the cream in a pan and bring to the boil, then immediately switch off the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour the topping over the torte, letting it drip down the sides.
- Melt the white chocolate and drop randomly over the top of the cake, using a spoon to swirl gently. Leave to set before serving.