Pea, lettuce and mint soup
Our pea, lettuce and mint soup is the perfect summer dish - light and fresh with a delicate green colour.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 140g/5oz onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 850ml/1 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- 250g/9oz potato, diced
- 200g/7oz frozen peas
- 1 romaine lettuce heart
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time until softened.
- Add the stock and potatoes then bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes and just cooked.
- Add the peas and cook for 5 minutes.
- Shred the lettuce finely and separate the paler leaves from the darker leaves. Add the darker leaves to the saucepan with the mint. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the lettuce has just wilted.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan, add the fresh chopped mint and as soon as it begins to sizzle take off the heat.
- Stir the sugar into the pea soup, then puree with a stick blender still in the saucepan, or transfer to a liquidiser and puree in batches. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the remaining lettuce.
- Reheat, stirring, then ladle into bowls and drizzle with the cooled minty oil. Serve with warm crusty bread and butter.