Mince pie scones
Need to get in the Christmas mood? These will do the trick.
900g flour, self raising
8g baking powder
8g cream of tartar
150g caster sugar
12g ground mixed spice
150g mixed dried fruit
2 eggs, free range
You'll also need:
For the crumble mix:
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and rub together.
25g light brown sugar
** Pre-heat oven to 185C (rational combi oven)***
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
1. Place all ingredients except the milk and eggs in the bowl of a mixer. Beat together on a low speed using the paddle attachment until the margarine is just incorporated.
2. With the motor still running slowly add the milk and eggs until just combined. Do not overwork the mix.
3. Tip the dough onto a floured surface and kneed briefly so the dough comes together.
4. Pin out the dough to 5cm thickness. Cut the scones using a 7cm fluted cutter. Use a straight up and down motion when cutting the scones, twisting will knit the sides together giving an uneven rise to the scone.
5. Push a hole into the middle of each scone with your finger and fill with mincemeat, Sprinkle the crumble mix over the scones.
6. Place on the lined baking trays and bake in the pre-heated oven for 16 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through.
7. Remove from the oven and place on baking racks to cool.
This recipe will make 16 scones.
Best eaten on the day you make them.