Lady Brunner's mulled wine
The Brunner family Christmas at Greys Court was a very traditional one, and Lady Brunner had a very hands on approach to the cooking in her home. We found this recipe in Lady Brunner's collection of well-loved recipes, and we're excited to share it with you here.
- 1 small lemon
- 6 cloves
- 285g / 1/2 pint water
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 1 bottle red wine (Lady Brunner suggests Claret)
- 1/2 bottle inexpensive port
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A little nutmeg
- Lemon or orange slices for serving
- Pare the rind very thinly from the lemon and put into a pan.
- With a very sharp knife, cut away the thick outer pith from the lemon and discard it.
- Stud the pared lemon with the cloves and add to the pan, together with the water and the sugar. Stir over heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the wine and port, and stir with the cinnamon stick until just boiling
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Serve at once, with a little nutmeg grated on top and a slice of lemon in each mug