Traditional Christmas trifle from Greys Court
As a celebrated member of the Women's Institute, Lady Brunner of Greys Court loved home baking, particularly over the festive period. We've found in her collection this recipe for a Christmas trifle that is sure to be a successful addition to your festive platter. This recipe is full of indulgent ingredients perfect for all the sweet tooth's out there.
- 1/2 pint custard
- 1/2 pint double cream
- 5 trifle spongecakes
- 2oz flaked almonds (slightly toasted)
- Raspberry jam
- 2 fl oz sherry
- 1 large tin raspberries (drained)
- 1 1/2 bananas peeled and thinly sliced
- Break up the sponge cakes into pieces and spread a little raspberry jam on each piece, then put them in a large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle these with the sherry and raspberries, then give them a good stir to soak up the sherry.
- Next, slice up the bananas and add them to the trifle.
- Pour the custard over, and then whip the double cream and spread over this custard.
- Decorate the top with flaked almonds, cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for three to four hours before serving.