Warming winter kale soup
Cavalo nero is also known as black cabbage or black kale. It's a good source of vitamin K, iron and vitamin C in winter months. Use the firm leaves from the cabbage, if they start to wilt then they're past their best.
- Large onion 1
- Potatoes 500g
- Black kale, also known as Cavalo nero or black cabbage 300g
- Vegetable stock 1 litre
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Fresh herbs (thyme, parsley etc.) - chopped 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil 30ml
- Cooked cannelloni beans 200g
- Peel and crush garlic cloves, then peel onion and chop roughly.
- Heat oil in large pan and sauté garlic and onion for 5 minutes.
- Chop washed potatoes (no need to peel) into 1cm chunks. Add to pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add herbs and stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Wash cabbage and chop. Add to soup and cover, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Depending on your preference, you can liquidise the soup or leave it chunky.
- Add cannelloni beans and heat through. Serve with chunks of crusty bread.