Hanbury Hall cider cake
If you're looking for a deliciously fruity, cider-flavoured cake then this is the recipe for you.
- 300mldry cider
- 250glight soft brown sugar
- 4medium eggs
- 450gplain flour, sifted
- 1 level tspbicarbonate of soda
- 1 dspdemerara sugar to use on top
- Before you make the cake, put the cider and fruit in a bowl to soak for 12 hours.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 23cm round tin and preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan) or gas mark 4.
- After the fruit has been soaked, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and part of the sifted flour. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the flour. Add this to the sultanas and cider and mix well.
- Fold in the rest of the flour.
- Mix and pour into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top.
- Bake for 1 ¼ hours (or 1 hour in a fan oven) until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.