Hanbury Hall rhubarb cake
Always a hit in the Hanbury Hall tea-room, try the recipe now for this homemade favourite.
- 340g / 12 oz soft brown sugar
- 50g / 2oz butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 450g / 1 lb plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g / 8oz chopped rhubarb
- 240ml / 8floz sour cream
- 40g / 1.5oz white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180c (fan 160c)/ 350f / Gas mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm/ 8" round tin.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk cream together the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl - it will be a dense mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence and egg and beat in lightly with a wodden spoon.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the butter mixture and fold in until well combined.
- Fold in the sour cream and rhubarb.
- Pour into the greased and lined cake tin and sprinkle with white sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes- 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Enjoy!