Hanbury honey cake
How to make this delicious icing-topped cake.
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (9oz) clear honey
- 100g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour
For the topping:
- 100g (4oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 2 tsp ginger syrup
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan 140°C), or gas mark 3. Grease and line a 20cm/8in round tin.
- Cut the butter into pieces and drop into a medium pan with the honey and sugar. Melt slowly over a low heat.
- When liquid, increase the heat under the pan and boil for about one minute. Leave to cool.
- Beat the eggs into the cooled honey mixture using a wooden spoon. Sift the flour into a large bowl and poor in the egg and honey mixture, beating until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture into a tin and bake for 50 mins - 1 hour until the cake is well-risen, golden brown and springs back when pressed.
- Turn the cake out on a wire rack.
- For the topping, cream together the icing sugar, butter and ginger syrup. Spread over the cake when cool.