Scone of the Month
As the sights and sounds of Spring arrive, and Ickworths' gardens bloom we welcome new growth in the Walled Garden. Introducing our sharp and tangy Rhubarb & Custard Scone Recipe.
- 1200g self raising flour
- 338g cooking margarine
- 300g caster sugar, (of which 250g will be baked in to the scones and 50g will be for cooking the rhubarb)
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300g custard powder
- 300g rhubarb
- Wash your rhubarb - top, tail and cut in to 1cm pieces.
- Sprinkle with 50g sugar and roast in the oven at 160˚ for 6 to 7 minutes, until the rhubarb is soft, but not soggy. Once cooked, leave to cool in the fridge.
- Place flour, cooking margarine, 250g of the sugar and custard powder in to the mixer and mix until smooth.
- Mix all eggs into mixture.
- Add rhubarb and mix gently.
- Add milk in slowly, until the mixture is combined.
- Once combined, roll out to about 2 1/2 cm thick
- Using a 70 mm cutter cut out your scones.
- Place on a lined tray and cook at 160˚ for 18 minutes
- Leave to cool and enjoy with clotted cream and National Trust Rhubarb and Ginger jam, available in our shop!