Killerton cider and apple cake
To celebrate National Apple Day and to tie in with the Killerton cider and apple festival we've created a delicious cake recipe for you to try making at home. You can buy the flour and cider in the shop at Killerton.
1 large cooking apple, peeled and chopped
50g (2oz) sultanas
Scant 150ml (1/4 pint) Killerton Cider
110g (4oz) butter
110g (4oz) soft brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
225g (8oz) Clyston mill flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1 tablespoon Demerara sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4.
- Grease or line with baking paper a 20cm (8in) cake tin.
- Soak the chopped apples and sultanas in the Killerton cider.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, little by little.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and fold into the mixture together with lemon rind.
- Add the soaked fruit and Killerton cider and gently mix in.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, scatter the Demerara sugar over the top and bake for 45-60 minutes.