A favourite recipe of Mrs Jenks', Kingston Lacy's old cook, these spice laden biscuits are perfect for cosying up by the fire with or serving at a Christmas party.
- 250g/9oz softened butter
- 125g/4oz caster sugar
- 350g (12 oz) self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Stir all of the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and sugar. Knead lightly until all of the flour mix has been incorporated and you have a nice pliable ball.
- Pinch off approximately 8g pieces, roll into a ball and place on a baking tray leaving space between each to allow for spreading. Depress the centre of each dough ball lightly with finger.
- Bake at 180ºC / fan 160ºC / gas mark 4 for 15 minutes.
- Cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.