Explore 1400 acres of historic parkland
Nature is ticking along nicely whilst we are closed. The deer venture close to the house in the day, the cows munch their way through the ever growing grass. The birds, the views, the fresh air; all will be waiting for you on your return.
Head out in to the wider estate for walks through woodland and across moor that take in spectactular vistas; walk to Paddock Cottage for views across Manchester and the Cheshire Plain or if you are feeling adventurous, head to Bowstones where you can see seven counties!
For those looking for a gentler stroll, head in to the garden which is open everyday.
The kids can let off steam in Crow Wood playscape with its giant slide, badger den and rope walks for children aged five to 12. There is also a high-level walkway, sandpit and a tree house with a fireman’s pole. Crow Wood is open from 8am-6pm.
50 Things fun
50 Things leaflets and lists are available from the Ticket Office and Information Centre. Pop in to get some suggestions on where to start on your 50 Things journey around Lyme, or get inspired with the list below.
- 1) Get to know a tree - Take a walk through Elmerhurst Wood or down to West Park Drive, and see what different kinds of tree grow at Lyme.
- 44) Watch a bird - Keep a eye on the birdfeeders out in the garden, and find out which birds make their homes here.
- 28) Climb a huge hill - Go for a walk up Cage Hill - what can you see from the top?
- 11) Explore on wheels - Borrow one of our balance bikes from the Information Centre to speed your adventures along!
- 4) Build a den - Head to Knightslow Wood or the path through Drinkwater Madow and you'll find plenty of fallen branches to build your own den. All we ask is that you don't break any branches off the trees and you take your den down again before you leave.