Orange and Honey Cake
This gluten-free cake pairs orange and honey for a tasty treat inspired by the Elizabethans' love of honey.
Cakes and bakes
- 255g Honey
- 3 Oranges
- 170g Butter at room temperature
- 200g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 190g Gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Xantham gum
- 80ml Milk
- Grease and line a 9 inch spring form tin.
- Zest two of the oranges and set aside.
- Juice the two oranges you have just zested and mix with the honey in a pan.
- Heat without mixing until the mixture becomes foamy and thickened, tilting the pan to make sure everything is well combined. Cook for 2 - 4 minutes.
- Pour half of this mixture into the spring form tin and chill in the freezer for 1 - 2 hours or until just tacky.
- Take the third orange and slice into rounds 2cm thick. Slice these rounds into quarters.
- Place the orange slices in the syrup filled tin covering as much of the base as possible. Return to the freezer.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the orange zest and cream again.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a tsp of flour with each to prevent curdling.
- Beat in half the flour.
- Add the milk and beat again.
- Beat in the other half of the flour.
- Carefully scrape the mixture over the orange slices in the pan and level the mixture being careful not to disturb the syrup and orange layer underneath.
- Place this onto a baking tray and bake for 35 - 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leaving the hot cake in its tin prick the base all over and drizzle the remaining honey and orange syrup over the base of the cake.
- Leave to cool in the tin before removing.