Orange and Marzipan Simnel Cake
A traditional Easter treat. The 12 chocolate eggs on top represent the 12 apostles, minus Judas the sinner but including Jesus.
- 175g softened butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200g mixed chopped peel
- 100g ground almonds
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 300g marzipan
- 50g dark chocolate
- 12 mini eggs
- Soak the candied peel in the juice of one orange.
- Preheat oven to 160OC and line a circular cake tin
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and glossy. Add the eggs, flour and baking powder using the creaming method.
- Fold in the zest of both of the oranges, the juice of the second along with the ground almonds and the soaked peel.
- Add half of the mixture to the prepared tin.
- Take half of the marzipan and roll to a disk slightly smaller than the tin. Place this over the cake batter and top up with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 35mins or until a skewer inserted comes out cleanly.
- Once cooled top with the remaining marzipan (rolled to a disk the size of the top) and the mini eggs, one on each slice. Melt the dark chocolate and pipe zigzags across the cake.
- Keeps for 4 days out of the fridge.