Raspberry and Rose cake
Inspired by Tresham's plan for a labyrinth planted with raspberries and roses, this cake is the perfect teatime treat - a real slice of Lyveden!
Cakes and bakes
- 370g Gluten free flour
- 340g Caster sugar
- 2.4g Xantham gum
- 340g Kerrygold for baking
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 6 Eggs
- 90g Caster sugar
- 45ml Water
- 2 drops Rose water
- 110g Kerrygold for baking
- 250g Icing sugar
- 70g Raspberries plus 50g defrosted and sliced
- 70g Icing sugar
- 1 drop Rose water
- 1 drop Pink colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line and grease two sandwich tins.
- To make the cake, mix all the cake ingredients together.
- Bake for 20 - 30 mins until cooked through.
- Make up the drizzle and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Brush the drizzle over the top of the cakes while still warm. Remove from tins and leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, defrost 70g of raspberries gently in the microwave. Push through a seive to remove the pips and reserve the juice.
- Beat Kerrygold until soft and add the icing sugar then gradually add the raspberry puree. Add more sugar if the mix begins to split.
- Sandwich the cakes with the frosting and the reserved raspberries.
- Make the icing to top the cake by mixing the icing sugar with enough water until a slow dropping consistency is achieved. Then mix in one drop of rose flavoring and one drop of pink colouring. You should achieve a light pink colour with a light rose flavour.
- Top the cake with this letting the icing fall gently over the sides of the cake.