Visiting Plas Newydd: what you need to know
To ensure the safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers and local communities, we've reduced the number of people we can welcome at one time. On weekdays you don’t need to pre-book your visit. At busier times, like weekends, bank holidays and school holidays, booking is recommended to guarantee entry. In this article you’ll find everything you need to know about what's open and what to expect from your visit.
We're looking forward to welcoming you back. Before your visit to Plas Newydd, read this article to find everything you need to know about what's open and what to expect from your visit. We've made some changes to our usual offer, to help keep everyone safe.
Arrival and parking
- If you have pre-booked, please have your ticket ready to show our staff either on your phone or a printed copy. If you’re a member, you’ll also need to show your membership card to our staff in the Visitor Centre.
- On weekdays you don’t need to pre-book your visit. At busier times, like weekends, bank holidays and school holidays, booking is recommended to guarantee entry.
- If you are arriving via bicycle, public transport or on foot please make your way to the Visitor Centre where your details will be checked by the team who will adhere to social distancing.
- In order to maintain social distancing, if you have booked ahead please arrive within your timeslot.
- Although our car park is large, it can fill up easily during busy periods. Please respect social distancing when parking at Plas Newydd, whilst maximising as many car park spaces as possible. Our team will not be able to help you find a parking space. We have designated blue badge holder parking close to the entrance.
- Campervans that are used for transport are welcome but are not permitted to stay overnight. At this time we’re unable to welcome caravans and coaches.
- There is no limit to the amount of time you can spend at Plas Newydd during your visit.
To help keep everyone safe, please follow social distancing and government guidance when you visit. If you’re showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 10 days, please don’t visit.
In line with government guidance, you're required to wear a face covering in most enclosed spaces from Monday 14 September. Please bring one with you.
- The garden and woodland are open daily from 10.30am to 5pm. Last entry to the garden is 4pm.
- The Old Dairy Café is open from 10.30am to 4.30pm daily, serving a limited selection of drinks, cakes, light bites and sandwiches to eat in or to take away. We’ve introduced new safety measures including screens at our till, collection points and waymarked routes. If you’re eating in or using our outdoor seating, we’ll ask you to scan your membership card or, if you’re not a member, to leave brief contact details for the Test, Trace and Protect programme.
- The Sunroom Kiosk is open from 11am to 4pm daily (weather permitting) and serves a selection of drinks, cakes, sandwiches and ice cream to takeaway.
- The Adventure playground in Dairy Wood is open.
- The shop in the Old Dairy is open 10.30am to 4.30pm.
- The Frisbee golf course is open and free to use, but you will need to bring a Frisbee from home or you can purchase one from the shop.
We are working hard to reopen as many of our areas as possible, however the house will remain closed for now.
The wooden treehouse, wooden cabin on the walk down to the house and the nature hides are currently closed.
Bringing a dog?
Dogs are welcome in all outdoor areas with the exception of the Terraced Garden. We do ask that you keep your four-legged friend on a lead at all times, including woodland areas and also in the car park.
There are lots of hard standing paths through the garden but we are on a hilly site so there are some steep inclines. Please look out for the accessible route sign to avoid steps when making your way to the views of the Menai Strait and Snowdonia. We have seating throughout the garden for you to rest along the way. Please check with staff on arrival if you have any concerns.
We are sorry but we are unable to offer our outdoor wheelchair or a buggy service at this time.
Exploring the garden
The garden around the house is looking lovely, but it won’t be quite as you’re used to seeing it. We’ve had almost no gardeners in the property for many weeks, while everyone stayed home and stayed safe.
We have a small team in now, but nowhere near what we’re used to, so the garden isn't perhaps as well-groomed as you might be expecting. There are some weeds and rough edges; please bear with us as we do what we can as soon as we can, and instead enjoy all the many other pleasures that our garden has to offer.
How to book
On weekdays you don’t need to pre-book your visit. At busier times, like weekends, bank holidays and school holidays, booking is recommended to guarantee entry.
Entry and parking is free for members, but please bring your membership card with you. Non-members will need to pay in advance.
Please book one ticket per person, except for children aged 5 or under as they don’t need a ticket.
- You’ll need to choose a 30-minute arrival time for the day you want to visit.
- The timeslot is for your arrival time only
- Tickets are for your use only and are not available for resale
- We'll send your booking confirmation by email. Please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your confirmation email.
- Every Friday we'll release new bookings for visits the following week. You'll need to book your tickets by 3pm on the day before your visit.
Due to limited spaces, we’re asking that you only book once a week to allow others a chance to visit.
Changing your booking
If your plans change and you can’t make your timeslot, you can easily change or cancel your booking. We really appreciate you doing this as soon as possible so the tickets can be made available for other visitors.
If you’re a member, the option to cancel or change your booking can be found in your confirmation email by selecting ‘view and manage your order online' underneath your order summary.
For non-members, please ring us on 0344 249 1895 to discuss changing your booking.