Using seasonal game, this hearty recipe is perfect for warming you up on an autumn evening.
- 4tbsp Vegetable oil
- 250g/10oz Onions, finely chopped
- 120g/5oz Carrots, finely diced
- 2 Sticks celery, finely diced
- 600g/1lb 8oz Minced mixed game (we used 50% venison, 25% pheasant and 25% rabbit)
- 4tbsp Red cooking wine
- 200g/8oz Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g/1lb Tin chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp Rosemary, finely chopped
- 2tsp Thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
For the cheese sauce
- 25g/1oz Margarine
- 25g/1oz Plain flour
- 200ml/8floz Milk
- 125g/5oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g/6oz Lasagne sheets
For the roasted vegetables
- 125g/5oz Fennel, roughly chopped
- 75g/3oz Carrot, roughly chopped
- 125g/5oz Squash, roughly chopped
- 100g/4oz Leeks, roughly chopped
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a large pan then add the onions, carrots and celery and sweat for five minutes. Add the minced game, increase the heat and stir until lightly browned.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs; bring to a boil, season then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce; melt the margarine in a large pan then sprinkle in the flour and cook until you have a thick paste.
- Whisk in the milk gradually until you have a smooth sauce, season with salt and pepper then add ¾ of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Starting with the game mix, layer a deep dish (25cm x 15cm) with game and lasagne sheets finishing with the lasagne sheets on top (you should have three layers of game mix). Pour over the cheese sauce and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook at 170°c for around 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for a further 10–15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Whilst cooking the lasagne put the chopped veg in a baking tray with 2tbsp oil and seasoning, roast until tender then serve on the side of your lasagne.
All ovens vary so please use times and temperatures as guides. Please check food packaging for allergens.