Of all the Christmas baking recipes for kids it’s making gingerbread men that is sure to delight them. It’s an easy dough to make and they can get their hands mucky kneading and rolling the dough around.
- 300g (11oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) dark brown sugar
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 90ml (3floz) golden syrup
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp bicarbonate soda dissolved in water
- Sieve the flour, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Melt your butter, golden syrup and sugar together on a low heat.
- Make a well in the flour mix and add the melted sugar/syrup/butter, plus a whisked egg yolk and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Roll your sleeves up and get kneading the mix until it forms up into a soft dough.
- Wrap in cling film and allow to rest at room temperature of half an hour.
- Heat your oven to 180C.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough to a depth of 5mm.
- Press out your gingerbread men with a cutter and bake them for 15 minutes. Gingerbread expands when baked so leave plenty of space between your gingerbread men.
- To decorate, pipe on a face and buttons with some royal icing.