Green Thai spring vegetable soup
Seasonal greens in a spicy coconut broth.
- 50ml/1¾fl.oz Vegetable oil
- 180g/6oz onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 180g/6oz leeks, finely sliced
- 140g/5oz Thai green curry paste
- 1.5lt/53fl.oz water
- 30g/1oz vegetable bouillon
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 30g/1oz light soft brown sugar
- 100g/3½oz savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 50g/1oz mangetout, cut in half lengthways
- 60g/2oz spinach
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 10g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, finely sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onion, garlic and leek and sauté for 2-5 minutes or until softened.
- Increase the heat and add in the curry paste, stir well for a further 2-3 minutes or until the mix starts to dry out a little.
- Add the water, bouillon, coconut milk and half the brown sugar, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 5–10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, mangetout and spinach, stir well and simmer until the cabbage and mangetout are cooked.
- Add the zest and juice of the lime, coriander and chilli. Adjust the seasoning, adding more of the sugar if needed as well as the salt and pepper.
- Garnish the top with a little chopped fresh coriander and a few slices of chilli.