Pistachio and blackberry cake
Light, delicately flavoured, and incredibly moreish, this pistachio and blackberry cake is guaranteed to impress your friends and family whatever the occasion. Enjoy the fresh burst of sweetness from the blackberries set against a creamy frosting, and topped with the subtle crunch of pistachios. What's more, this decadent cake is a perfect way for using up any leftover blackberries.
For the sponge
- 375gcaster sugar
- 375gself-raising flour
- 50gpistachio nuts, blitzed to a crumb
- 5mlalmond essence
For the compote
- 60gcaster sugar
For the frosting
- 100gicing sugar
- 150gcream cheese
- 10gpistachio nuts, blitzed to a crumb
- Line your three 23cm loose bottom cake tins and preheat your oven to 170°C.
- For the sponge, place the butter and sugar into your mixer and beat well until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and beat again to combine.
- Next add in the ground flour, pistachio nuts and almond essence. Mix until just combined.
- Split the mix between the three tins, approximately 450g per tin, and smooth the top to even it out.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden in colour and cooked in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the compote, place the blackberries in a pan over a medium heat and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add in the sugar, stir well and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, continuing to stir frequently until the fruit has broken down and the liquid has thickened. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- For the frosting, add the butter and icing sugar into your mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and mix until combined.
- To build the cake, place one sponge onto your board and spread with 75g of frosting, followed by 75g of blackberry compote.
- Add another sponge on top and repeat with the fosting and compote.
- Top with the final sponge and use the remaining 175g of frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake.
- Spoon the remaining compote onto the top of the cake and sprinkle with the last 10g of crushed pistachio nuts.
- Place into the fridge for 5 minutes to allow the frosting to set slightly before portioning.