Toffee fudge gateau
A delicious showstopper of a cake coated in fudgy flakes. Packed with dates and caramel, it's gluten free and suitable for the whole family.
- 400gpitted dates
- 200ml water
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 30g golden syrup
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 400g gluten free self-raising flour
For the frosting:
- 100g baking magarine
- 200g icing sugar
For the caramel:
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp double cream
For the fudge:
- 100g dark chocolate drops
- 100g condensed milk
- Put the dates, water, syrup and bicarbonate of soda in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then simmer until the dates have broken down.
- Decant the dates into the bowl of your food processor with an 'S' blade attached and blitz until smooth. Put to one side while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Put the oil, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla flavouring into the bowl of your mixer, attach the whisk and whisk until light and fluffy. You could use a hand whisk if you do not have a stand mixer.
- Tip the cooled date mixture into the egg mixture and whisk briefly to combine. Add the gluten free flour to the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between two sandwich tins (23cm) and place in the oven at 160C (fan) for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- For the caramel: Place the sugar in a pan over a high heat, swirl gently until melted then bubbling and golden brown. Add in the cream, stir well, let it simmer for a couple of minutes, then remove from the heat and leave until cold.
- For the frosting: Place the margarine and icing sugar in a bowl and whip until light and fluffy. Gradually pour in the cold caramel whilst still whisking until smooth and fluffy.
- For the fudge: Melt the chocolate, stir in the condensed milk, pour into a lined tin and leave until cold and set. Grate into flakes.
- Use the frosting to sandwich the cakes together, then cover the sides. Place the grated flakes in a tray. Hold the cake by the top and bottom, and place the frosted side in the tray, roll in the grated fudge, until covered.
- Place on a plate, smooth the remaining frosting over the top and sprinkle over the remaining grated fudge.