Two ways tomato open sandwich
Enjoy this seasonal, slow baked sandwich with garlic mayonnaise.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 150ml/5 fl oz mayonnaise
- 5g basil
- 800g/28 oz tomatoes
- 50ml/1.8 fl oz extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 10g thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 50ml/1.8 fl oz oil
- 150g/5 oz red onion, thickly sliced
- 150g/5 oz tomatoes, chopped
- 10g parsley
- Splash of red wine
- 30ml/1 fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices multigrain bloomer bread
- Mix the crushed garlic, mayonnaise and basil.
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices, you should get four per tomato. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with the extra virgin rapeseed oil, salt, pepper, thyme and chopped garlic, place in the oven at 100°C for a minimum of 60 minutes or until slightly dried and soft but still with some bite.
- Place the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions, chopped tomatoes and parsley. Stir well and sauté gently until the tomatoes and onions start to break down, cook until reduced and thick.
- Add the red wine and balsamic vinegar, stir well and cook until thick. Season to taste, decant and leave to cool.
- Cut thick slices from your loaf and place in the oven at 200°C (180°C fan, 400°F, gas mark 6) to crisp them and lightly colour the outside, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Divide the mayonnaise mixture between the slices and spread well across the surface.
- Add a portion of the tomato paste and spread this out to cover the mayonnaise.
- Layer the tomato slices over the top of the tomato paste and drizzle over a little of the cold pressed rapeseed oil before serving.