Scotney's chocolate orange scones
If you enjoyed February's scone of the month, why not have a go at making it yourself at home? This recipe will produce 18-20 vegan scones best enjoyed fresh from the oven with some orange marmalade from the shop and maybe some clotted cream for extra indulgence.
- 1kg Self raising flour
- 250g Margarine
- 200g Caster sugar
- 450ml Plant-based milk (we used soya)
- 2.5g Baking powder
- 6 Large oranges
- 100g Icing sugar
- 25g Cocoa powder
- 1/3 Orange juice
- Place the margarine at the bottom of a bowl, add the self-raising flour, sugar and baking powder and mix until it resembles fine crumbs
- Zest and juice the oranges, adding all the zest and 2/3rds of the juice and mix. Add milk to form a dough ball (you may not need all the milk)
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to the thickness of your cutter
- Place on a lined tray and bake for 20-25mins at 160c (fan assisted) 180c (non fan)
- Once the scones are cool, mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder and remaining juice to form a glaze. Drizzle over the scones.